Time to get a lesson or give this sport up.

Post your message here only if it doesn't belong under any other board

Time to get a lesson or give this sport up.

Postby mizunodave » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:08 pm

I need a forehand/sidearm lesson and I'm ready to pay. Somebody help me, I'm so discouraged I'm ready to give it up.

I've been playing off and on for a couple years. I drive forehand/sidearm because backhand hurts my shoulder and arm in a scary way, it's probably a form issue but the process of figuring that out seems too likely to cause injury. That's fine, I'm cool with sidearm only driving, problem is, I struggle to get 200 feet. Flat football field for measurement, no wind, 215 is my longest, but I consider anything that makes it to 200 a good throw.

I've watched every video and read every article on the subject. I think I understand what I am supposed to be doing and I feel like I am but obviously the results aren't there. I can tell you it isn't an issue of me throwing those high nose up shots that stall and fade, I keep it pretty flat, maybe 10 feet off the ground. Also not just an issue of rolling it over into a turn and burn or of a hyzer spike, no trouble keeping it flat and straight unless I choose an anny or hyzer line. It seems to me that I'm just not generating enough spin/snap and I've tried everything I can think of to fix that.

I'm throwing a 153gm Diamond (8/6/-3/1), a 171gm Zombee (6/5/-1/1) and a 150gm Teebird (7/5/0/2).

My goal is to get to 300 feet but I'll probably settle for 250. If anyone thinks they can get me to a consistent 250 feet I would like to pay you for your time. 10 bucks just for showing up and trying and another 20 if you can get me to 250.

If anyone is interested I can meet wherever Friday anytime between 11am and 430 (have to split at 530), or anytime at all Sunday. Just post back here or send me a PM.

Thanks guys,
David
mizunodave

Re: Time to get a lesson or give this sport up.

Postby dadOsix » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi Dave, don't know if we've met but my son Jake plays a lot and has a pretty good sidearm. I'll ask him if he is interested. Can we find you on Facebook?

Greg Rickert
dadOsix

Postby mizunodave » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:55 am

That'd be great, Greg, thanks.

Not on facebook I'm afraid. You can get me here or email me at mizunodave@gmail.com.

Looks like Friday is going to be super windy, I'm hoping Sunday will be a good day to practice, alone or otherwise. Free this coming Wednesday too.

I made a video of my throws today to get some feedback on the discgolfcoursereview forum. Might as well share it here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVsJBJVkL9c

mizunodave

Postby JPAL » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Greg's son, Jake, is a really good player forehand and backhand. He is an excellent player for anyone to learn from.

What is the typical flight pattern of the disc you're throwing. Do they just flip up and hyzer off real fast? Are they getting a big s curve? It's hard to tell what you're doing wrong without some more information. But off hand, having the right speed disc for your power will make a difference.
JPAL

Postby JPAL » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:10 pm

sorry, not paying attention. Just saw the video. Without seeing more throws with different discs here's the best advice I can give you coming from an ok player. Keep the speed of your teebird, somewhere around speed 7-8, and go up in weight to 170+. Keeping the same stance you're in on the video. Take a small step with your right foot then a hard step with your left. Similar to the step you would get swinging a baseball bat. When you take the second step rotate through your body at the same time and put all your momentum forward, straight towards where you are wanting to go. An easy way to think about it is, once you release the disc, your right side should almost be turned toward the direction your throwing then your right arm swinging through. You release the disc on slight hyzer and let it flip up then glide, not flat or on an anhyzer. If you cant get the disc to flip up flat from a low hyzer release, youre not throwing hard enough. You're just not getting any power, that's why youre not getting any distance. They biggest thing I see is that your not building any momentum without that initial step. The shot you're throwing now I would being throwing a putter or a mid on and an upshot most likely. not for distance. The discs you listed above would make excellent discs to learn backhand on because they won't require too much speed or power to get flying but I would not consider them specifically good forehand discs. Pick one disc and throw it over and over until you start getting the right power you need to make it fly consistent. I can forehand any disc in my bag. but only about three do I throw for distance and accuracy. Not all discs fly equal
JPAL

Postby anchormansam » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:30 pm

I agree with Jpal on finding a different disc. When throwing back hand I had to do the same thing. I could spend hours changing how I thro or I could change the disc and thro the same to get a better result. Come out to leagues when they start up again next year and come play with some forehand friendly players. Hit me up sometime 8594217680 and maybe we can get a round in sometime. My wife is forehand dominate player as well. Casey and Jake are 2 of the better forehand players that I know of.
anchormansam

Postby mizunodave » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Yeah I'm really looking forward to getting my game going to try to make leagues sometimes next year.

I've suddenly gotten several emails in addition to the advice given here. Couple offers to play together and work on things. Hoping to make it out to meet up this weekend if the weather isn't dreadful. Sadly it looks like weather is about to put an end to playing opportunities. My timing on making a push to fix my form is almost as bad as the timing in my throw.

Based on comments in emails and suggestions on dgcoursereview I've started trying to copy Avery Jenkins's style in his Deep In The Game forehand youtube video. Getting lots of weight transfer and rotation now that I was holding back on in that video. Some small progress but it feels like I'm close to breaking through there, just need to keep practicing it to improve the timing. Hopefully when I can hook up with some better throwers they can get me over the hump.
I will continue to ponder and practice the advice given here and elsewhere as practice time allows until I can get out with you guys in the Spring.

Cheers,
David
mizunodave

Return to General DISCussion