Bees

18 hole disc golf course in Lexington, KY, off Southpoint Dr.

Bees

Postby coolhandmike » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Just wanted to warn everyone to be careful when throwing into hole 7 (long). Not sure if anyone has noticed, but there is a large nest of bees located about 15 ft short and a little left (if you're looking from the pad) of the basket location in the long.

So, throw with caution off the tee and/or the approach so that you don't have to deal with trying to retrieve your disc being guarded by 1000 bees.

I would imagine there should be consideration given to removing this before the Open. Perhaps some form of professional removal? Not sure what kind of liability falls on the hosts to make sure the course is safe, but I can see that creating a problem at some point during the stretch of the tournament. I am scared to death of bees and would not want to have to deal with that during a tournament. Also, would not want to see anyone else be forced to make a very uneasy putt/retrieval, or even worse, be the unlucky one who makes them a little too mad.

Please be careful while throwing on 7 until this gets resolved!
coolhandmike

Re: Bees

Postby OrcFlyer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks. We were there working at 7 on Saturday and played the hole Sunday but didn't notice any bees. I will call P&R and see if they can help to get the bees relocated.
OrcFlyer

Re: Bees

Postby DrewSmith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Bees or Yellow Jackets?
Bees you can call up a local bee keeper and they'll probably take away the bees for free.
Yellow Jackets are a whole other ball game since you have to kill the nest which is under ground and like any other wasp they get super pissed off when you try that. It sounds like a new nest so it might not be too hard to kill it.
Tastes like chicken!
DrewSmith
Site Admin

Return to Veterans Park - Lexington